Thursday, June 07, 2012

The Secret

Here's a new piece called "The Secret". It's called that after the Emily Dickinson poem of the same name that's lodged in the 4th ring from the center. When I had finished the piece I had those 5 spaces open and I wanted to add some text of some kind or another. I thought that a poem would work there and Emily Dickinson has a lot of 4 and 5 line poems so I got out my worn volume of her poems and leafed through it. The book practically opened itself to the page with this poem on it. I thought it worked well with the drawing. It spoke of 'things that fly" (dragonfly) and of "things that stay" (bricks, fossils, stones). The muse provides again….I couldn't have found a better poem! That synchronicity happens a lot for me….it's uncanny how often that it happens. Believe it or not I usually let my pieces tell me what their names are. I think "title?" and wait to see what answers come to me. Usually it's obvious. I hear the word(s) and they feel right. Thus the title arrives However this piece couldn't let go of the poem's title so it ended up with the same name.

No comments: